Wednesday, October 1, 2008

The Church Pianist: Piano Hymn Arrangements Book Review for Offertories

Here is the beginning of several posts on: Piano Book Reviews for Offertories
I gave links or company information to ease your search for each book.
  1. Christmas Duets for Two Pianos by James Manfield

http://www.lorenz.com/results.aspx?srch=quick&cid=christmas+duets+for+two+pianos&c=christmas+duets+for+two+pianos&pg=1&rpp=30

(Late intermediate; Lots of variety!)

Excellent book for church and piano recitals

Songs in book:

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

What Child is This?

Joy to the World

Hark the Herald Angels Sing, Silent Night,

O Little Town of Bethlehem

2. Draw Me Nearer by Faye Lopez

http://store.wilds.org/index.php?cPath=39_30_40

(Advanced; One of my favorites) Evangelistic style throughout.

Songs in book:

I Am Thine O Lord

Fairest Lord Jesus

Have You Any Room for Jesus?

Immortal Invisible

Does Jesus Care?

It is Well With My Soul

Christ the Lord is Risen Today

At the Cross

Amazing Grace

The Love of God

Trust Medley (Trust and Obey with Trusting Jesus)

And Can it Be?

I Must Tell Jesus

3. Blessed Assurance

(Various arrangers: Judith Rea, Peter Davis,

Nathan Arnold, Duane Ream, Jenifer Cook, Joy Mefford Malone,

Rebecca Bonam McDaniel)

http://www.bjupress.com/product/087601

(Late intermediate to early advanced)

Song List:

Blessed Assurance

Rock of Ages

For the Beauty of the Earth

Nearer Still Nearer

This is my Father's World

Wonderful Words of Life

Leaning on the Everlasting Arms

Give of Your Best to the Master

My Saviour's Love

Carol of the Bells

Hope this list of book reviews for piano hymn arrangements is helpful!

I will share more in the near future.

New website: http://thechurchpianist.com

2 comments:

Miranda said...

Hello! I have a question that I was hoping you could help me out with....What do you do with the left hand? I've heard lots of different things, such as octaves, "jumpy" chords, rolled chords, or the tenor and bass. I tend to lean more towards chords, but some say that that sounds choppy. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you & God bless!

Jenifer Cook said...

Thanks for the question Miranda!
I will do my best to answer your question in my next post... which should be tomorrow.