Monday, October 20, 2008

The Church Pianist: When Not to Use Altered Chords


Notice anything unusual in yesterday's article?
I broke an accompaniment rule of the church pianist.

I used an altered chord in the first measure of the
second verse. ( "Jesus Loves Even Me")
I played a D 7 in place of a G chord on the word: "only".

Altered chords are inappropriate to use when
accompanying choir or congregation, if they are singing parts.

It's ok to use altered chords if everyone is singing melody.
Otherwise, your chord should match the chord of the singers.

For the most part, our congregation sings melody. Several
of our men sing tenor by ear and they just follow my chord
changes.

So, if you have a congregation to play for like me, have fun
using a few altered chords here and there!

No comments: