Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Church Pianist: Piano Accompaniment for When the Roll is Called Up Yonder



When the Roll is Called Up Yonder is a nice upbeat
hymn but contains alot of repeated chords.

This song needs a facelift when it comes to piano
accompaniment.

For this type of hymn, I like to use alternating
bass notes in octave format for the left hand.

Example: This particular hymn is in A flat. Therefore,
the one chord is A flat. The notes of the A flat chord are:
A flat, C and E flat.

Look in measure three:

The main chord for this measure is A flat. I played an
A flat octave in the left hand on beat one. On beat three,
I changed (alternated) the bass note to an E flat which
belongs in the A flat chord. (the 5th of the chord).
Makes a big difference!

Notice how I inserted some rests here and there for the
right hand. It's just another way of adding variey to the
piano accompaniment.

Several triplets are sprinkled throughout to add extra zest.
(See measures: three and eight).

In the next article, I will provide the rest of the piano
accompaniment for When the Roll is Called Up Yonder.
(chorus section).

Audio sample:

http://www.box.net/shared/hkf832ek5u





2 comments:

Shirley said...

I just wanted you to know what a blessing your beautiful music is, Jenifer. I've been working on "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" and am close to getting it conquered! Am also looking forward to trying "When the Roll.." with someone in church for an offertory. I've been spending more hours at the piano than I've done for a long time.
God bless you...please keep these lovely arrangements coming as you have time...you must be very busy!!

Jenifer Cook said...

Thankful you can use the "What a Friend" arrangement.

That's a great idea....using "When the Roll" as an offertory...hadn't thought of that.

Yes, I'm a very busy lady here lately but really enjoy sharing ideas and gleaning from you all as well.