Friday, April 24, 2009

The Church Pianist: Choir or Congregational Accompaniment:Part Two (When the Roll is Called Up Yonder)



Here is part two of yesterday's article providing
a free choir/congregational arrangement of
When the Roll is Called Up Yonder.

I love dressing up the chorus with an alternate
melody that fits within the chords being used.

Please note: This arrangment does agree with
all four voice parts in the hymnal.

I'm unable to use chord substitutions to prevent
clashing with the written chords but I do add
chord extensions here and there.

A chord extension is created by adding another
third above the root chord.

For example, this song is in A flat Major.

The A flat chord = A flat, C and E flat (consecutive 3rds).

Well, add a minor third above the final note and you land
on G flat. It adds a rich flavor (oops!..I'm hungry so I have
food on the mind).

For more information on chord extensions, click on the link
below:


Audio for the full arrangement of When the Roll is
Called Up Yonder:

( I did play all four voice parts to give the full effect of
the added accompaniment).





4 comments:

Shirley said...

This is great, Jennifer...thanks so much! I discovered you on YouTube this evening, and have been listening and enjoying it so much. You are an amazing pianist! I play piano at church, and can play by ear, but would love to know more about chords, adding 'frills' etc. I'll be watching your blog for more. God bless!
Shirley in Canada

Jenifer Cook said...

Thanks Shirley. I just try to share what the Lord has allowed me to learn.

Thanks for visiting:)

Shirley said...

Sorry about misspelling your name, Jenifer...it was well after midnight here and my brain went to bed before I did :)

Jenifer Cook said...

I didn't even notice. My brain does the same thing at night:)