Friday, January 9, 2009

The Church Pianist: Tips for the Commuting Church Pianist



How many of you commute at least
a half hour or more to church?

My husband and I have about a 40
minute commute to church.

Unfortunately, the distance limits our
involvement.

Here are some guidelines I had to establish
to avoid undue stress.


Practice times for special music:


(instrumental or vocal)

Sunday am:

Before or after Sunday School.

I leave right after church so I have time to
take a nap before choir. You wouldn't like
me without a nap:)

Sunday pm:

Few minutes before or after
choir practice or after church.

Our Sunday night service starts at 6pm which
allows for ample practice time after service.

Wednesdays:

Before church. If necessary....
after church but only one person or group.

We usually get out about 8:15pm and then
everyone's ready to get home because of
school the next morning.

Ensemble practices: (Sunday pm)

(last 15 minutes of choir
when needed...like a few Sundays before they
sing.)

This month we have a Men's ensemble practicing
in one room while a Ladies' ensemble rehearses in
another place. Works well if you have at least two
pianists:)

The tips above may not work for every church pianist
depending on your schedule or limitations.

I'm more effective for God's work when I'm not strung
out here and there. It's ok to say "no" sometimes.

I'm so thankful God has allowed me to serve as a church
pianist. It's a blessing to work along side my church family
as we serve Him together.

Hope these tips encourage other pianists to effectively
manage the time God has given them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Refreshing to hear this article.
It is important not to overload.