Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Church Pianist: Free Piano Sample (Congregational)



Do you ever have a hard time feeling the
beat when the songleader wants to slow
down a section of a song?


The following applies to accompanying:


*congregational singing

*vocal specials

*instrumental special


For example, the song: "Count Your Blessings"


A lot of songleaders like to slow down the section
of the chorus:


"count your blessings........name....them...one..by....one"


You get the idea.


What should the pianist play? more fill-in notes!


The songleader (if trained) will subdivide the beats
on slow words.


For example:


If the words have quarter notes, the
songleader will lead in an eighth note pattern.


The extra movement keeps the tempo alive during
slow sections.


The pianist should also mimic this eighth note pattern.


Today's free piano sample should clarify the above
explanation.






7 comments:

Unknown said...

This sample looks really interesting, --but, can anyone please tell me why I can't print it, or any of the samples on this blog?? It's very frustrating--like "window shopping". I'm sure its some simple mistake ---Please Help..Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Ayesha,

Tell me exactly what you are doing to print and I'll see if I can figure out the problem.

Unknown said...

I click on the sample, which then enlarges & press "Ctrl p" , when my print window comes up, I press "print". This works fine for everything else.( As a homeschool mom I print a lot of worksheets etc...) I even tried highlighting the sample arrangement & copy pasting it to word processor, but, it wouldn't even highlight.

Anonymous said...

Ok...when you press "Ctrl p"
and the print screen appears...
Is the correct printer highlighted?
Sometimes the default printer will not appear, so you have to make sure on that.

There's another way you might try printing the music images...

Click on the image to enlarge it.

Then right click and choose:copy

Then go to Microsoft word and paste it on a new document, then print.

Unknown said...

I tried the suggestions, and sadly, it isn't working. Printing similar items on other websites is fine--for example, Mark Hayes' harmonic substitutions for "What a Friend" at http://www.markhayes.com/improvnotes.cfm

Thanks for taking time to help. I'll keep trying to figure it out.

Music4MusicTeachers said...

Eek! Jenifer, I just realized my printer is also not printing any of the files -- just the tops and bottoms (the titles and the dates, etc.).

I think you may have to convert your images into pdf files. That's what I have on my website, www.music-for-music-teachers.com

Dana

Jenifer Cook said...

Hi Dana,

Thanks for your helpful comments.
Since several folks have printing troubles...I posted a hopefully helpful article at:

thechurchpianist.blogspot.com

I will definitely visit your site.

Oh..concerning the RSS feed. I thought I was set up for that by using the atom.xml at the end of my blog address. I am still quite new at blogging. My husband helps me when he can. I do know that Natalie at Music Matters Blog has my blog fed right into hers but not sure how she did it.