Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Church Pianist: Free Congregational Piano Example



Gospel songs can sound quite plain.
The pianist must add extra notes
and different chords to bring the text
to life!


Today's example will give the pianist
some accompaniment ideas for the song:
"Revive Us Again".


Remember....whatever you add to con-
gregational songs must agree with the
vocal parts.


Editor notes for "Revive Us Again"


General:


I played half note chords in right hand
during repeated note sections.


This sounds better than playing every
beat...prevents a labored tone as I've
mentioned in previous articles.


Measure #8:


I added the 7th to the V
chord, making it a V 7 (G 7)
Adding 7ths to otherwise plain
chords gives a more full and rich
sound.


Overall left hand description:


I used broken chord tones in
octave format with some stepping
octaves. The stepping octaves happened
to occur anytime I played eighth notes in
the left hand.


Hope this free congregational example
is helpful.


I was thinking....would it help to see a
glossary of left hand fill-ins for songs
with repetitive bass lines?


No comments: