Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Church Pianist: Congregational Singing in the Fast Lane



Ever experience difficulty playing fast songs
in church?

Do you try to play every word? It's hard to keep
up isn't it?

Simply play the chord structure and let the congre-
gation do the work :)

I like to make the song easier on the hand as much
as possible to keep the tempo flowing.

In todays' example (I Will Sing of My Redeemer),
you can see how I would play for the congregation.

Editor notes for :

(I Will Sing of My Redeemer or
entitled: My Redeemer)

Words:

" ...my Re-..." and once again on: "love to"

(I transfer the melody rhythm to the left hand
for variety and easier hand movement.)

It's fine to sit still on a chord here and there while
the singers do the work :)

Just add a few sprinkles of eight notes to break up
the sit-still chords.

I'll share some more examples on these time signatures
in upcoming articles.

Just remember: the pianist's role is to maintain a steady
tempo to support the congregational singing.

No comments: