Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Church Pianist: Canon in D Bass Movement (modified)



After practicing Canon in D with my sons
this morning (guitar and piano)....
the thought occured to me...


I should show how to use the Canon in D
bass movement in several hymns.


This bass movement works well with hymns
containing a mundane bass line. A mundane
bass line occurs when the same chord lasts for
more than one measure.


The Canon in D bass progression is:


I- V - vi - iii - IV - I - IV - V


Instead, I will use the following chord order:


I - V - vi - iii - IV - I - *ii 7 - V


I only changed the next to the last chord.


Remember: the ii 7 and IV can be interchanged
because their chords have similar notes.


Key of C: ii 7 = DFAC

Key of C: IV = FAC


See today's example using the hymn:

" I Have Decided to Follow Jesus"


My left hand does the Canon in D chord
progression using broken chords.


Tomorrow I will show another hymn using
the Canon in D progression.

No comments: