Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Church Pianist: O Little Town of Bethlehem (free arrangement)



The mood of a song determines what

type of accompaniment will be used.

"O Little Town of Bethlehem" is a soft
and peaceful Christmas carol...like a
lullaby.

If I were playing this as a piano solo,
I would use less fullness for a softer
texture. Since I arranged it for the
congregation in mind, it will need the
fuller chords for supporting a large
group of singers.

This particular Christmas carol has
frequent accidental or (altered) chords,
which can create awkward moves for
the pianist.
I tried to make an accompaniment
that was more comfortable for the

Editor notes for: "O Little Town of Bethlehem"

Measure 3 :
I added the 7th note
to the ii chord (g minor) for a warmer
tone on the 3rd beat.
Measure 5:
The right hand plays a
fill-in on beats 3 and 4 for a smooth
transition to the upper range.
Measure 7:
Notice how I'm working
my way back down to the middle
range of the keyboard with my
right hand.
Measure 8:
I'm back to middle range
of keyboard to create a darker tone for
the words. ("....dark street...")
Measure 13:
Bell tones (4th interval on
beats 2 and 3 to convey a "lighter" tone).
Ok...how many of you picked up on that? :)

Please feel free to use this free piano
arrangement for congregation or choir.
You may adapt it to a piano solo with
minor changes.

2 comments:

Julia S. said...

This song is not printing properly.
It is printing only half a page. I'm not sure why? All my settings are fine. Please check.

Jenifer Cook said...

Thanks for letting me know. I am going to fix the link to where it will print properly.