Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Church Pianist: There's Within My Heart a Melody



How many of you know the song: There's Within
My Heart a Melody?

This joyful, peppy hymn was birthed from a very
tragic accident.

The author....Luther Bridges. Luther was known
for his energetic and sincere preaching.

At the age of 26 in 1910...Luther lost his wife and three
young children to a housefire while visiting his in-laws.

Luther felt overwhelmed with sorrow but remembered
the Lord's promise that the Lord would never leave him
or forsake him.

Burdened with sorrow, Luther was still able to penn these
words:

"There's within my heart a melody,
Jesus whispers sweet and low.
Fear not, I am with thee, peace be still.
In all of life's ebb and flow."

This hymn story as well as many others can be found in a
special book that I've had for years. I'll share the author
of the hymn histories book and where to find it in my next
article.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How neat!
We just sang this song in our church on Sunday! It is a beautiful song, especially after hearing the story behind it.

Thank you and God Bless!

Anna