Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Church Pianist: No Key Change Necessary!



It's not always necessary to change keys from one
to the other if you're moving up a 4th from the original
key.

For example: C to F Major or F to B flat Major

A transition is still taking place even though a modulation
(key change) isn't used.

Therefore, a nice ritard before the switching of keys allows
for a smoother transition.

I've found this transition sounds better when the last melody
note of the first key is the same note of the next key.

In the first example of today's image, the last melody note is
C (in the key of C). The first note of the next key is also C.

The same thing occured in the second example.

Notice the time signature change in the second example
does not affect the transition. I just ease in to the new
time signature by starting on the first word of the new
key in the last measure of the first key.

Whoa! That was wordy! Hope that last explanation was clear.

Click on this link to hear today's examples:

http://www.box.net/shared/efjt6urosa

The above key switching works well during a prelude, offertory
or when connecting two hymns for congregational singing.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not commenting on this topic today in paricular but I just wanted to thank you for providing so much information and advice. I am struggling (and of course enjoying) serving my church with my piano and your tips are very helpful and indeed I will keep them in mind when I serve next month. (I serve once a month)
I do have one question; I am currently taking piano lessons and in Japan taking lessons means playing classical music and we barely learn to be creative. I am playing Bach's Symphonia (3 voice) and Haydn's Sonata. Will such study benefit when playing hymns?

Anonymous said...

Hi Yuko,

I'm thankful this blog has been a help to you!

An excellent question concerning classical music benefiting hymnplaying.

I will address your question in an article today because it may benefit others as well.

Thanks for your visits!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much. I will continue my studies in classical music and for hymnplaying, I will continue to learn from your site, another pianist at my church, and from books.