Friday, November 14, 2008

The Church Pianist: Transposing for Congregational Singing

New website: http://thechurchpianist.com

Transposing (changing keys) is one art

all church pianists should strive to learn.

Congregational singing can be energized

by just transposing the last verse of the

hymn being sung. Of course, you and the

music director will want to have this worked

out in advance.



Our music director is very laid back and doesn't

mind me surprising him with a key change.

Transposing up a whole step is very easy!

Basic chord ingredients needed:

Last measure of the song ends on the I chord.
Next, add the minor 7th of the I chord.
Finally, Play the V 7 of the new key and you're there!



Refer to the examples on today's image and play them.

I will address "how I learned to transpose melodies" in

another article.

Just think one note higher when transposing up a whole

step. Knowing your scales is of upmost importance!



2 comments:

Miranda said...

Thanks for posting this! This is something I really struggle with....well, lack confidence in, I guess!

Anonymous said...

Your welcome Miranda.
I'll do more posts on transposing as able.