Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Church Pianist: Improvising Ideas for Mundane Bass Line

New website: http://thechurchpianist.com







Mundane bass lines need extra
treatment to create a more
interesting sound.



Here are some improvising ideas for the


church pianist using the gospel song:


Power in the Blood.





We, as church pianists, grow weary of
playing the same way for every verse.


For that reason, I've included improvising
ideas for at least two verses.


Our church sings every stanza of every song
so I really have to be creative!





Editor notes for piano score of:


Power in the Blood:





*Full chords give a bigger sound to encourage


the congregation to sing out.





*It's not necessary to play every word....


just on beats: 1,2,3,4 to give rhythmic stability.





*Verse one: See measure #2 (4th beat of right hand)


I repeated the 3rd beat chord an octave higher for


a smoother transistion to upper register of keyboard.


(I usually play at least a whole phrase in one register


before changing to a new location).





* Verse two: I freed myself of melody and just played


a certain pattern for each new chord.

No comments: