Saturday, August 20, 2011

Most Embarrassing Moment as Church Pianist

 I'll never forget the most embarrassing moment I had as a young
church pianist at the age of fifteen.  I was playing for the invitation and the sustain pedal broke.

I can still remember the song I was playing..."Just as I Am".
All I could hear was"Plunk plunk plunk... plunk plunk plunk plunk....."

My dad was the song leader and he just gave me this "what is going on?" look.
I tried acting like nothing was wrong but it was just TOO obvious :)
 Needless to say...the invitation seemed a little shorter that day.

Anybody else have an embarrassing moment as church pianist
that you're willing to share?  Feel free!

New site:  The Church Pianist


3 comments:

Stepheny said...

Two that I remember well are:
1. My first time using the new piano we just purchased... and the bench screw was loose... it was squeaking and swaying... I tried to hold still, but when your putting feeling into your music, it's difficult. I was so embarressed at the sound!
2. I had just got done with my duet with my sister. I was accompanying her on the piano, and she was playing violin. So she had a stand up there.... when we got done playing, I was walking back, and my foot caught the stand and tipped it and the music over... my face was BURNING... and I just quickly picked up the stand and carried it all the way back to the door... I left the music. I was SOOOOOOOO embaressed! lol :)
Thanks for this blog... LOVE IT!
Stepheny W.

Connie in Ohio said...

Yes, playing for a wedding, we agreed that I would hesitate for a few moments between songs as a cue for the men to appear on stage. But, for some reason that particular day the piano lamp became unsteady and tipped forward. I had to stop playing long enough to steady it. Oh yes, the men came out! So they just made themselves comfortable and sat on the edge of the stage until the bride was ready. Wasn't too bad I guess, just a bit awkward.
Another time, I blundered really bad when I hit the first big chord of the recessional before the pastor announced his "I now present to you Mr. & Mrs. etc..." Now, THAT was AWFUL!!!

Anonymous said...

I have only been a church pianist for a year (and now the youngest of the rotation as a college freshmen!) but boy have I had my fair share of embarrasing events in this time!

1. Forgetting to play the second verse of a song!
2.Forgetting to play a part all in general!
3. Having a member of the congergation sing so loudly and off pitch that it messed me up for the entire service!

I'm sure I will be coming back to this post as I continue to play in the future!

Great that I found this site!