Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Church Pianist: Correct Fingering Makes the Difference!


Believe it or not...correct fingering is of upmost importance
for the pianist.

How can you tell what fingering to use?

Here's the basic guidelines I share with my piano students
who are at least in Level 3 (early intermediate).

Try to stay in the same hand frame (position) to avoid excessive twists.
Too many twists produces a choppy sound.

It usually works to stay in one hand position for say....

one sentence of a hymn before repositioning for the upcoming sentence.

Adjust the hand according to the highest note of the sentence.
You want the pinky to be able to reach the highest note.

Just look ahead to each new phrase and reposition your hand
as needed.

3 comments:

Jerry McCutcheon, Jr. said...

Hi Jenifer: I've enjoyed reading your blog. I've been playing in church since JAN 2008 when our church had staff changes - the organist and I often play duets. In terms of fingering, it might be beneficial for intermediate students to take a peek at some classical music edited editions to get a deeper perspective: some have alternate fingerings. Some of the pieces by Bach w/ fingerings might prove to be a handy tutorial.

AF65 said...

Hello,
I would like to have a contact with you. I'm a French music leader in my church where my husband is the pastor.
I would like to see the pianists progress in the creativity. They can play what is written but struggle to improvise outside what is written.
I hope you can help me to serve better for the glory of our God

Jenifer Cook said...

At the present moment...I can't think of the best way for correspondence.

My blogs are a part-time hobby for me.

I'm not really set up for email correspondence due to my full schedule but do want to help you.

The best way to communicate with me for now is by leaving comments on posts at either one of my websites. I will get them and respond.

I just produced a youtube video entitled: "My First Hymn Improvising Lesson". Your church pianists may find it beneficial.

Thanks so much for visiting and getting in touch.

Sincerely,

Jenifer