Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The Church Pianist: Christmas Program Tips


A Christmas program takes lots of work to prepare as I'm
sure you all know.

As a church pianist, I find myself very busy the night of the
program...making sure last minute details are in place.

A tip that has really helped me....is to have one of my
industrious piano students play the prelude before the program.

The student enjoys this opportunity to play during a time when
the main focus isn't directed his or her way:)

It also allows me time to get in order before the program starts.

One more tip...I even have a student or students play the offertory
the night of the program.

Our young people enjoy being involved in the ministries of our church.
For that...I am very grateful.

1 comment:

Jerry McCutcheon, Jr. said...

Hi Jenifer - Christmas programs are indeed a challenge. If the congregation is blessed with student or other amateur pianists, instrumentalists, or singers, a pairing of piano/flute or piano/voice for prelude, offertory, communion may be a possibility. This works well in our church. Jerry McCutcheon, Jr.