Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Church Pianist: How to Play Without Watching Fingers

Pianists of all different levels have asked me...
"How do you play comfortably without watching your
hands?"

I begin by learning the piece with the most comfortable
fingering possible without alot of awkward twists and turns.

I will have memorized the piece by the time I can play it without
hesitations.

Once a song is memorized...try playing it in the dark.

You'll be amazed at how well your keen sense of touch takes over...
just as a blind person must learn to do.

Several years ago, I was playing the prelude for a convention
with several thousand in attendance.
All of a sudden, the lights went out!

Fortunately, I had a repertoire of memorized music I could play
comfortably in the dark:) I thank the Lord for helping me
through that experience.

Just be patient with yourself and practice, practice, practice!

Knowing your piece will enable you to play without watching your
fingers.

No comments: