Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Church Pianist: Accompanying the Vocal Soloist



As I was accompanying a vocal soloist
this evening, I was reminded of how important
it is to sing along in my mind while accompanying.

It is so important to feel the ebb and flow (rise and fall
of volume and varied speed) as interpreted by the
singer.

Being a church pianist demands flexibility! Not every
soloist interprets a song the same way.

Over the years, I've played "Birthday of the King" so
many different ways! Some soloists sing it slow while
others may go faster or at various speeds.

The speed of a song determines the style of accompaniment.
I will address this in another article with visual examples.

Remember...you have to give the soloist time to breathe!
It's so easy to rush the singer through the song.

Learn to feel the music as though you were speaking
the same words. Make it conversational.

If the singer is a true musician, you will be following them
as it should be.

I'd rather accompany a singer or instrumentalist any day over
playing a solo. For me, it's more fun to stray from the melody
and be creative :)

Hope you've all had a great Sunday!

No comments: