Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Church Pianist: How to Learn Improvising

How Did You Learn to Improvise?


This question has been asked to me a lot over the years.

I'll share what helped me.


At age eleven, I became church pianist because our pianist moved.

At this point, I had just learned to play 5-part congregational style.

Prior to becoming church pianist; it had taken me several months to

learn At Calvary in this style.


(Five-part congregational style means: Double the bass note in the

left hand and add the tenor note to the right hand).


Playing for choir was a tremendous help! I was exposed to a lot of

well-written choral arrangements.


One must expose his or herself to an abundance of ideas in order

to stimulate creativity!



As I progressed, I began purchasing sacred piano arrangement books

for offertories. Over the years, I've collected from various arrangers.


I found myself gleaning improvisational ideas from music I had been

exposed to and implementing them in my own arrangements.


Saturate yourself with well-structured music to properly influence

your own creativity.


Try pulling an idea from an arrangement and apply it to a hymn

from the hymnal. It's amazing what can be accomplished if

you just try. Keep it simple!


Improvising begins by using someone else's idea(s) and eventually

developing your own unique style. New website:










3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for that tip. Do you know of any songbooks that have enchanced hymns? I play lots of solo arrnagements, but some stuff is not always appropiate for congregational singing. I assume there must be some hymn/songbook out there that has full, interesting arrangements that are fit to congregational style singing. This blog is a blessing!---- Actually, an answer to prayer (yes I've been praying for direction). Taking lessons was just hard to fit into my schedule as a homeschool mom of four. Gotta go...God Bless!

Unknown said...

Oops! Forgive my spelling errors on previous comment.

Anonymous said...

Ayesha,

I'm so encouraged to hear that this information has been helpful!

You may glean some ideas from Shelley Hamilton & Ruth Coleman's Hymnproviser series of Congregational arrangements.
Here's the link:

http://www.majestymusic.com/p-150-hymnproviser-1-preludes-congregational-accompaniments.aspx

Thanks for visiting!

Have a great weekend. God bless you too.